Beaver Dam, WI asked in Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: My children’s father has custody but due to an accident he now has a guardian. Does his guardian have now have custody?

My parental rights were not taken from me. I voluntarily gave up custody and placement in my divorce agreement. Recently my ex had a brain injury. He will require a legal guardian (his mother) for himself for the rest of his life due to partial recovery of brain function. Does his mother automatically gain custody of my children since she is his legal guardian? Will I need to petition him or his mother to regain joint custody of my children?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Brookfield, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: No. His mother does not automatically have guardianship of the children. If you gave up custody and placement in the family court, your parental rights were not terminated. You would have the right to file a Motion with the Court to assume custody and care of the children. His mother would have needed to file a Petition for guardianship and you would have needed to be served with formal notice of a hearing on her petition.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.