Somerset, NJ asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Georgia

Q: Need help with appeal process

Three years ago my daughter was in abusive relationship her bf wouldn't let me take the baby and my daughter would steal from Walmart to support her daughter cause the baby father was addicted to pills and would abusive to her. Well she got caught twice put on probation and went to jail for the first probation violation while in jail family division was called ( I even contacted them before hand and said I take her before she put into system they ignored that) anyway she was taken and the father decided to run leaving both them there my daughter had failed to do some stuff not all but they kept telling judge she hasn't cooperated they wanted her to sign paperwork ect without her court appointed lawyer she refused of course so fast forward she got put in jail and took a year to clear probation she went to court gave guardianship to her grandmother whom talked with everyone because she doesn't want to raise the child and everyone told her my daughter can appeal to get her back even

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kedra M. Gotel
Kedra M. Gotel pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Newnan, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Your daughter doesn't have an appeal appealable issue. She simply needs to revoke/terminate/end the guardianship in a signed writing. The Division of Family and Children Services did not initiate a petition of protection nor did they seek termination of your daughter's parental rights. According to the facts you've provided, your daughter voluntarily gave her grandmother guardianship of the minor child. Whether the guardianship was given through the courts or through the parties in a signed writing, the guardianship is able to be revoked (taken back). Circumstances change, people change.

I wish you the best!

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It sounds as though your daughter just gave her guardianship. If that is the case, she can now revoke the guardianship. You can always consult with an attorney for guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.