Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Georgia

Q: Is there much that a policeman can do about this situation?

I’m 17. I’m two months away from being 18. I’m moving out and teaming with a trusted friend as a roommate and I’m going back to work and I have a small business as well. I just don’t want to be at home anymore. Is there not much a policeman can do since I’m so close to being 18? I understand the process of emancipation is a little more complex but I just can’t stand to be home any longer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Forget emancipation. Not enough time to make that work. Until you are 18, your parents rule the roost. Should an adult help you move out before you are 18, that person could be charged with interference with custody. It's only 2 months. Focus on the positive things you should be doing between now and when you turn 18.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.