Longmont, CO asked in Child Support for Colorado

Q: Can I change a child support order to claim my child every year if I have full custody in colorado

Support order from 2016 says the other parent can claim every other year if child support is paid in full. This hasn't been an issue because child support hasn't been paid in full at any time since then. I just want to modify the order so that I am the only one who claims the child unless the custody agreement changes for my child to spend over 6 months with the other parent as the IRS guidelines state.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Most parents alternate the tax benefits. You can see if the other parent will agree. You can always ask for a modification, however you would have to justify why it would be in the best interests of the child for you to take the tax benefit each year.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.