Houston, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Colorado

Q: My ex was pregnant before we met. My name is on the birth certificate because we were married. Can I get my name off?

My ex wife was pregnant before we were married. She had the child after we were married, so my name is on the birth certificate. She has told me that she wants me to have no contact with the child anymore. I am paying about 300 dollars a month for child support. Am I able to get my name off of the birth certificate through the courts?

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: It is difficult to ask for paternity testing if you did not do so in the course of the child support proceedings. The courts at this point do not have an interest in disproving paternity.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.