Murfreesboro, TN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: Can my landlord legally sue me?

I was unable to reach my landlord and it was day 33 of having emergent safety concerns submitted to maintenance. (Window fell out of wall, breaker was sparking/blowing, floor caved in, no smoke detectors/sprinklers/extinguishers, and they building failed building and code inspection) I sent my 60 day notice prior to being late on rent stating I tried numerous times to reach the landlord and my rights as a tenant and my ability to enjoy the terms of my lease have been breached so I would be vacating the property by the end of july. I’m already moved out. This should end my rent responsibilities correct? Also they forged a fake eviction stating my name and address and then directly under it says a different name and address all to get COVID rental assistance on my behalf 26 days after I moved in. I reported them. Now I’ve been served a detainer warrant for 4x what I owe. Is this even legal? I have court tomorrow and 46 pages of proof and just want to be prepared when I go in tomorrow.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Yes you can be sued. Be prepared to testify that you did not cause damages and possession has been returned. Expect a continuance and you may want to hire an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.