Shawano, WI asked in Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Wisconsin

Q: How do I begin a lawsuit and what does it cost

I’ve used Moraccan shampoo and conditioner

2 Lawyer Answers
Emmanuel Muwonge
Emmanuel Muwonge
  • Wauwatosa, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: It depends upon where you are beginning the lawsuit and why you are filing. If your claim is in State Court which is Circuit Court in the Civil Branch and is for an amount or value less than $10,000.00, you file it in Small Claims Court. The current fee for doing so in Circuit Court, Small Claims Division is $73.00. If the claim is over $10,000.00 that filing fee is $265.50.

If the claim is for Personal Injuries for $5,000 or less the Small Claims filing fee is $94.50; if it is greater than $5000 the filing fee is $147.00.

The courts website is at look for the forms under the Forms tab Small Claims and begin filling it out.

I hope that this is sufficient for your purposes.

Michael D. Birchmore agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

A: I agree with Mr. Muwonge. I would also add another issue you must consider. Most states require corporations to be represented by only attorneys. This law applies to any court in which the corporation has been sued. If you plan to sue a corporation (who made the product) you should be aware that you could easily wind up paying the other side's attorneys' fees. Attorney fees in a civil products liability case or other civil lawsuits can be a very large amount which you should not ignore in your calculations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.