Redmond, OR asked in Probate for Oregon

Q: My mom's deed had survivorship but she never took my dad off after he died. Do I have to do a probate for both of them?

Probate in Nevada. My dad died in 2006. The deed for their property has joint tenancy with survivorship. My mom died last month. My mom never took my dad off the deed so do I now have to do a probate for him as well? I am planning on doing a set aside without administration because the total estate is less than $100,000. Also do I have to include joint bank accounts she was on with me? Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Your question is in the category of Probate for the state of Oregon. If the property is in Oregon then here is my answer: Assuming your parents had survivorship on their Deed then all you have to do is record your dad's Death Certificate with the County and the title is clear (meaning that your mom is the sole owner). Then you will need a Small Estate Affidavit for your mother's estate as long as the property is worth less than $200,000 fair market value and you do not have other assets over $75,000 that require probate. I recommend you consult with a probate attorney to provide you specific advice on your situation. If the property is in another state then this information may not be correct.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.