Oviedo, FL asked in Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: Friend is being charged by the state for domestic assault after the cops have been called twice to the same house.

A friend is being charged for domestic assault for cops showing up at a house twice when she wasn't there by the state.

She has an arrest warrant and is being threatened by her parents that if she doesn't turn herself in, her stepfather won't drop the charges after she is in there after 12 hours.

There is only one side being presented to the cops, that is not hers.

My friend was actually the one who was assaulted and has pictures.

Everyone is telling her to turn herself in, even a relative that works with the DA.

How does she go about this? What are her rights? How does she get to share her side?

Obviously a competent lawyer would be her best bet, but that might not be affordable...there has to be another outcome here?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Denania Galloway
Denania Galloway
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: This would be a criminal law issue. However, the friend should definitely turn herself in. Also, have friend to get in contact with a bail bondsmen.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.