Beaver Dam, WI asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Litigation for Wisconsin

Q: How do I ask the Family court commissioner to remove all non parties from the court room?

My ex and I have a placement modification hearing coming up. He will be bringing people with him. I know it can be done, but how do I ask that all non parties please be excused from the courtroom?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brookfield, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Unless it is a paternity hearing, many of these hearings are public hearings. You can object to the people being in the courtroom, but it is within the discretion of the Commissioner to ban them. You could raise the issue that these people are likely to be called as witnesses at a trial and don't want their potential testimony tainted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.