Gonzales, LA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Louisiana

Q: When figuring out child support, if remarried, is spouse's income also included with parent of the child ?

My ex was court ordered in 2009 to pay child support, he did for a while but hasn't in 5 or 6 years. I got married in 2014 and file taxes as married filing jointly. I need to file a judgment on my ex for not paying child support but wanted to know if my husband's income will be included as my income. The father to my son (lives in Florida and I live in Louisiana)hasn't held a job in years, he currently does instacart, door dash. He says he only makes $400 a month but I'm sure he's lying.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Contact the district attorney for your parish to file for contempt. If he hasn't paid in 6 years, you have 4 more years to do this. After that you start to lose money.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.