Sterling, CO asked in Child Support for Colorado

Q: So if I just found out that the 15 & 6 yr old kids were actually not mine can I get support from the father? Wife left.

My ex cheated with same guy 15 years now she’s gone and doesn’t even call them. She left me to go and be with him. Now I have been told that they are likely not mine as she has been obsessed with this person her entire life. Now im raising the kids alone and they are off living their fantasy. Im just wondering if I’m not the father and he is, don’t they both have an obligation to pay support? She don’t pay hers but it’s only $60 a month. Her lover(the possible father) has got a decent career and good income. I was not aware of the affair until recently I discovered a tattoo I bought her has the mans name preceded by the word love hidden in the tattoo. That’s how I came to find out. Also the name she wanted for my first child was a name very similar to his and middle name matched the grandpas name on his side. It was written as an alternative name in her baby book. 2nd choice but she never mentioned it to me because it’s obviously his namesake. Do I have any rights?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: In domestic relations court, child support can only go back to the date of filing. You can file for support and a determination of paternity now. If the children were born during a marriage between you and the mother and/or if your name is on the birth certificates, then you are the presumed father.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.