Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: I appeared in court on a probation violation hearing, status update scheduled for 8/23, however discharge sentence 8/7

I appeared in front of the judge today on a probation complaint hearing in which the judge moved forward with a status update hearing scheduled for August 23rd. However, My sentence will discharge on August 7th. So not sure what this means. I was not notified today that I will not be discharging on the 7th. Which I believe that a sentence modification or something along those lines must be filled with the court, while notifying defendant that his discharge date has been changed in order for that to happen. I don’t have to appear on the 23rd since discharge on the 7th? I have been provided with no documentation or information stating any change for August 7th.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard B. Huttner
Richard B. Huttner
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You should show up to court on August 23, 2021. Since any violation of probation is claimed to have happened prior to your discharge date, you continue to be on probation. You are entitled to be advised regarding how you violated probation. You are presumed innocent and sometimes a modification can be made to avoid a violation of probation--it may require extending probation so you can come into compliance. You may wish to seek counsel to advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.