Nashville, TN asked in Family Law for Tennessee

Q: I was told I need a parentage custody order to amend my daughter's birth certificate & put her real father on it. How?

The man who I thought was my child's father ended up not being her father after an home DNA test was conducted. We had her name changed right away to her biological dad's last name but we thought his name would automatically go on her birth certificate and it did not... the man who I thought was her father name still remains on it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Denania Galloway
Denania Galloway
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I would need to know how to you change the name and on what documents.

Generally, you would need to get a order from a juvenile court Judge to establish the bio dad as the legal dad and request the judge to change your child's name. Once you get that, you will be able to change birth certificate and social.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.