Asked in Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: Can probation and parole conduct a home visit and conduct a search of a parolees home if the parolee is not there?

I moved in with my sister in law a few months ago to help out. She is on parole and in May 2021 probation and parole showed up to do a home visit,she was arrested that day.She bonded out and In July I was outside with my puppy and my sister in law was not at home. A mini van pulled up and a man got out and asked me for my sister in law, Kel, I told them she wasn't home and could I give her a message. He tells me that he's got some important papers for her and he might be able to leave them with me.He goes to the car and gets in.A few minutes go by and all the doors open and 4 men get out.They knock on the door and ask me if Kel lives there and the big guy in front starts walking in and I said what u doing. He said I'm doing a home visit and pushed me out of the way,they proceeded to search her bedroom.They asked me to set my phone down because they didn't want me to alert her that they were there. They found nothing and eventually left. Can they do that. This was Conway County, AR

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If your sister-in-law is on parole and resides there, then as a condition of her parole, a parole agent can search the residence. People on parole do not have the same constitutional rights against searches and seizures.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.