Sidney, NE asked in Divorce for Nebraska

Q: I was given a house by my father after date of separation but before divorce papers were filed is it separate property?

Would my house gifted to me by my father after date of separation but before divorce paperwork was filed be separate property or marital property?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: It depends on the facts, but there is the potential of a marital interest in the real estate, even if the spouse is not on the title. Even if only one spouse is on the title of the deed, the spouse may not have the ability to pass a clear title if there is a marital interest in the property. Timing probably matters in a case like this. If the husband is the only person on the title, transfers title to the son, and then files a divorce 10 years later, then there may not be an issue as the wife had 10 years to make an issue out of it. On the other hand, if the husband transfers title to the son, and files for divorce a couple of months later, then you can likely expect problems in potentially both the divorce case itself and also potentially with a title dispute. A quit claim deed is often used in these circumstances if the wife is in agreement with the title being transferred and the parties want to make it clear that the wife is surrendering any marital interest she may have in the home. You would need to consult an attorney to determine what applies in your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.