Jacksonville, FL asked in Foreclosure for Florida

Q: Can my husband be sued by the bank in PR, for my mother in-laws failure to pay her mortgage? We live in the US.

My father in-law passed away last September and for reasons unknown my mother in-law stopped paying her mortgage. The bank has filed a lawsuit against her, but has also named my husband and his two brothers in the suit. I am not familiar with the laws in Puerto Rico but fail to see how we can be held financially responsible for the debt they incur or fail to pay. My husband hasn't lived in PR for 25 years and his name isn't on the house, can you please explain how they have legal grounds to sue us for someone else's debt ?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You should ask this question in Justia > Ask a Lawyer > Puerto Rico > Foreclosure, because it is a question of Puerto Rican law, not Florida law. But I would guess that he is being sued in case he might claim some interest in the property, not to make him pay. You indicate that you are in the US, but don't forget, Puerto Rico is a U.S. possession.

Barbara Billiot Stage agrees with this answer

A: Your husband likely has an interest as a heir to your father-in-law's estate so they likely have to name each possible heir.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.