Brooklyn, NY asked in Estate Planning for New York

Q: I have some estate matters that my siblings and I have to address as it pertains to our father. The situation is comple.

In short, our father passed away in 2012 and 2-3 years after his death step mother created an estate to collect a settlement from a lawsuit. She fraudulently claimed in this estate filing that my father had no children. She is currently being prosecuted by the Brooklyn DA's office. We are trying to find out what she was entitled to since my father had a will. She is seeking a plea deal and claims she can come up with some of the money. We need to probate the will and set up a new estate. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If the Will has already been probated, one of you can apply to be substituted as the Executor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.