Chicago, IL asked in Probate for Illinois

Q: How can I deposit a check I received from my deceased father when the check is made out to the estate of his name?

I received this check after I was named Executor of my father's estate by the probate court.

Then what happens after opening an account with the check? If my dad has no outstanding debt?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: You need to open a bank account for the estate. To do that, you will need a federal tax id number for the estate and the letters testamentary from the court appointing you as executor. After opening that bank account, you can deposit the check into the estate bank account.

Theodore David Vicknair Sr. agrees with this answer

Theodore David Vicknair Sr.
Theodore David Vicknair Sr.
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Mandeville, LA

A: I agree with attorney Whithurst. You can obtain the tax ID number from the IRS at this site:

Your attorney should be able to get this for you if you don't understand the online menu.

You will also likely have to provide the bank with a certified copy of the Order or Letters of Administration authorizing you to act for the estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.