Albuquerque, NM asked in Probate for New Mexico

Q: what form is used to request seeing what the will states with regards to the inheritance and who is to get what %?

I am the granddaughter to someone that told me (when they were alive) that I would receive 50% of the estate upon their death, and the decease's daughter has not openly or willingly informed of what to expect. in fact she didn't even inform me of the death. what can I do?

the daughter was made "power of attorney" and "executor of the will," and thus far the will has not been filed with the court. I thought it was public record. So how do I find out what it says?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: If no document was filed as a Will with Probate Court, then the purported will has no effect. You might consider filing to Administer the Estate, and possibly receive some compensation that way. Unless you can locate the Will or a copy, it is doubtful there will be a Probate of an Estate where you are a large beneficiary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.