Macon, GA asked in Collections for Georgia

Q: How to deal with creditor that try to contact me about a credit card and a loan in my deceased husband name.

Credit card and loan under his name only.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you are not a co-signer or guarantor of the loan, then you would just need to inform them of his death. They may ask for a copy of his death certificate or obituary just to close out their file. If that does not satisfy them and end the communications, then you will need to send them a letter stating that you wish for them to cease and desist all written and verbal communication with you. I would send this letter via certified mail return receipt requested so that you have proof that it was received.

They can face FDCPA violations if they continue harassing communications after being told to cease and desist. If they contact you after that letter is sent to them then you should speak with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.