Cordova, TN asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Arkansas

Q: Can I adopt my granddaughter that I have full permanent court ordered custody of and what do I have to do?

I had temporary custody for a couple months and then was given permanent by a judge. I have had custody almost 5 years now.

1 Lawyer Answer
Dustin A. Duke
Dustin A. Duke
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: It would depend on the facts of your case. Was the custody order out of a juvenile case? Were the parents awarded any visitation? Have they been visiting with your granddaughter? Have they been paying you child support? If the parents haven't had any relationship with your granddaughter or haven't been paying child support, you may be able to adopt her without having to obtain the parents' consent. You could also adopt her if the parents consent to the adoption.

James E Hensley Jr agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.