Franklin, OH asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Michigan

Q: I had voluntarily signed my rights off of my kids. I'm now married and pregnant. Am I able to keep this one?

I had voluntarily signed my rights off of my 4 children back in March 2021 after fighting with DHS for 2 years. I'm now pregnant, due December 2021), and married a different guy (not my other kids dad) and was unsure of if I'm able to keep this baby after he is born? I wasn't sure of all of the stipulations in Michigan.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You can. But expect CPS to pay you a visit at the hospital or soon thereafter. There are some advantages to you in this situation because you voluntarily terminated. And that you have a different partner and apparently made some strides in your life further increases the likelihood that you can keep your baby. The big negative is that your termination was very recent.

I would suggest initiating contact with CPS now, before the baby is born, so that you can be proactive about addressing any issues or concerns they may have.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.