Detroit, MI asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Michigan

Q: My 26 year old son has been incarcerated 7 + years his minimun was served 9-2020. We need a tough appeletic Attorney

Hes been flopped twice but has no additional incidents or any violent crimes. I am in Muskegon, MI he is in Baraga Correctional Facility we filed mandamus and need excellent representation

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Has he completed all his programming? And when and what were his prior incidents? Is he in for a sex offense? It would not be unusual at all for someone in on a CSC to be flopped twice, due to apparently no fault of his own. Additionally, with COVID, a lot of programming just hasn't been available.

You need an attorney knowledgeable about parole process and procedures, not an appellate attorney. There is no right to parole just because someone served a minimum sentence, but like any process, there are things to look into, consider, and prepare for ultimate success.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.