Pendleton, OR asked in Small Claims for Oregon

Q: Do I need to send letter certified mail, return receipt requested, relief from debt before suing civilly

My ex has me 23,000 in debt to him by lying. If I have proof of his deceet, should I ask him to legally squash it or just file small claims or civil suit and then provide the courts with my proof?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: The small claims limit in Oregon is $10,000 so that may not be your best route. Not sure what you are thinking of filing in court. If he erroneously claims you owe him money, you simply don't pay him. His choice will ultimately be to either drop the matter or sue you for it in court - and you can then defend fully. It is possible that he could refer you to a collection agency but very few non-business entities do that. Even if he does, if you still refuse to pay, the only thing the collection agency can do is ding your credit record and either drop it or file suit themselves on the debt. If they did that, you would still have all the same defenses as if he sued you himself. Few collection agencies are likely to risk their own money suing you while being subject to defenses they know nothing about and have no idea if the defense is valid. Basically, you can just tell this fellow to get lost. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.