Boise, ID asked in Divorce for Idaho

Q: married less then a tear. Purchased a property as my sole and seperate property using borrowed funds from my parents as

down plus put additional funds from my parents into property to make it livable. Husband signed quit deed to me a closing via title company. He is in prison now. I filed for divorce, he wants half of the equity in house as community property.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Idaho is one of 9 states which have "community property laws." This means that from the date of marriage until divorce or death, everything purchased, from cars to houses, belong equally to both husband and wife. Of course, parties often attempt to "over rule" those laws, as you did, by purchasing a piece of real property with parents' funds and then asking AND RECEIVING, a Quit Claim Deed, from your husband to yourself of "any interest he has in the house." This Quit Claim Deed is ALL the divorce judge needs in order to award the house to you as your sole and separate property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.