Carrollton, GA asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Georgia

Q: Can i press charges on someone who assaulted me while i was pregnant? I have pictures and videos proving it happened

i ended up having my baby at 26 weeks; she stayed in the NICU for 2 months and just came home a week ago.. i couldn’t press charges earlier due to my situation and being back and forth to the hospital but i do have evidence of the fight and a video of them saying they’d kill my baby .. I want to press charges but I don’t know how to go about it . I need more information because I am going to continue with this issue because it’s serious and ultimately cause my baby to come early.. it put me through so much and that’s not okay . Help ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson
  • Cullman, AL
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It sounds like your primary question is how to start a criminal proceeding against the individual that assaulted you. For that you will just need to call the police and file a report. The criminal proceeding should take off from there.

If you are wanting to start a civil proceeding for money to compensate you for your damages related to the early birth and medical treatment for your injuries, you will need to call an attorney that does personal injury work. That attorney can instruct you on what will be needed to move forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.