Asked in Legal Malpractice for Georgia

Q: Do I have a case?

2yrs ago a lady ran a red light hitting my work van,a coworker recommended his long time childhood friend to represent me. One of his associates was my attorney, It went well at first-then she left the firm. So then I get this guy-anything he wants me to know/he doesn’t call( nor does he return calls) he tells my coworker to pass the message.The coworker knows more about my case than I do.When the settlement check came in I made arrangements with my job to go pick it up-he said I had to have an appointment,I explained to him it is difficult-he sends the check and release paper to signed -in an open envelope delivered by the coworker! There was no detailed paper saying who got what. When I asked about it he gets slightly gruff makes an excuse-well that was 3 days ago-still no kind of communication. What can I do? The check was only 10,000. I was expecting more-the first lawyer said 12-13000.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Refuse the settlement, speak with the managing partner, and get to the bottom of it. You can also acquire a new attorn4y but there are a lot of factors to consider there. You can also contact the GA Bar for guidance, as a lot of "volume" personal injury lawyers violate the law and ethics of our profession regularly and you may be a victim there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.