Deltona, FL asked in Child Support for New York

Q: My ex wife and I divorced over 10 years ago. We never did a child support order instead I always paid her and

paid expenses For my child. This worked out well for both of us as she never wanted to bother with court. Now my son is 19 and still lives with his mother. I still provide for him financially but I feel he is an adult and should get a job to help cover some expenses. My ex is now threatening to take me for child support because my son wants a car and she wants me to pay for it. If she files for child support would I be responsible for back pay from when we divorced? or would it only be from the moment she files the order?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
  • Commack, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: In NY child support obligations are till 21. However it is only retroactive to the date of the filing of the petition. Assuming, of course, there was no prior order.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.