White House, TN asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: If I move my daughter and I out of fear for our safety when her dad has not established paternity, is there a way

For him to file for joint custody? He is currently in jail due to an FTA and we go to court next week for an order of protection. He is on probation for a domestic abuse charge that happened last October

1 Lawyer Answer
Denania Galloway
Denania Galloway
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Yes you can definitely move. In TN, there is a presumption that a child born out of wedlock is the mother's unless paternity has been established. However, he can file something in Juvenile Court seeking paternity. To provide a better individualized response to your daughter's circumstance, she would need to get in touch with a custody attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.