Bellevue, WA asked in Estate Planning for Oregon

Q: Sister passed away in the State of Oregon. Her estate consists basically of a 40 year old mobile home in a park.

She was on SSI and medicaid. She has 3 sons that I believe are homeless with no money and her marriage went through dissolution but failed to finalize in the 80's. Estranged husband also homeless with no funds. I don't have the money for standard probate. I am not an heir obviously. Sister was a horder and will require money and time to empty and make home sellable. I need to know how to proceed. Thank you for any advice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I am sorry for your loss. It sounds to me like you would be best off if you handed this situation to the State of Oregon Estate Administration Unit (EAU). Because your sister was receiving Medicaid there is a good chance that all of the assets she owned at her death will go back to the State of Oregon (after her burial are paid). I recommend you contact the Estate Administration Unit and give them all the information you have about your sister's assets and her family members (spouse and children). Let them know if you have paid any of her bills or if you paid for her burial, etc. You can also call Social Security to notify them of her death (1-800-772-1213). There shouldn't be anything else you need to do.

State of Oregon EAU:

Local: 503-378-2884

Toll-Free: 800-826-5675

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.