Atlanta, GA asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Georgia

Q: How do I serve C T Corporation System in Lawrenceville GA listed as registered agent for property management company?

Property management company currently managing apartment complex in Marietta GA is in violation of tenant lease agreement. Principal address of the business is listed in UT; registered agent is a corporation by the name C T Corporation System in Lawrenceville GA. Gwinnett County sheriff is said to not be able to serve the corporation without a 'company' name. Am I expected to include the name of the property management company with the registered agent name? Or am I expected to locate the company within the C T Corporation System that processes the property management company's affairs?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: CT Corporation is a company that acts as registered agent for thousands of companies throughout the country. The deputy certainly knows how to serve CT Corp. You are likely drafting your lawsuit pleadings incorrectly. You do not sue CT Corp, you sue the company and serve CT Corp which then gets the lawsuit to the appropriate people. If you want to succeed in your case, you really ought to speak with an attorney before going forward. BEWARE! If you are suing a corporation, the corporation will, by law, be represented by attorneys. If you are pursuing a bad claim or doing it improperly, you will be assessed the corporation's attorney fees and costs. This could be quite expensive depending upon the circumstances. See an attorney first!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.