Avon, IN asked in Family Law and Adoption for Indiana

Q: Hello I need to find what forms i need to file with the court so my husband can adopt my daughter.

bio dad is not around hasnt been in over three years. i have two other children with my current husband.i dont think bio dad will try to stop it but i cant get ahold of him to sign his rights over im in indiana

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Greenwood, IN

A: The court clerk for your relevant county should be able to provide you with the requisite forms. However, the adoption process can be fairly complex, and therefore it might be a good idea to sit down with an experienced attorney and/or seek representation for your case.

Kurt Kazmierczak
Kurt Kazmierczak
  • Merrillville, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You can get sample forms from the clerk, or possibly even at your county's website. Without the biological dad around to consent, there are things that need to be addressed with the court in order for this to have a chance at working. This is a scenario that can get very complicated very quickly. You may file all the forms correctly and still miss something that delays this even further, I would highly recommend that you hire an attorney if at all possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.