Kansas City, MO asked in Contracts and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Kansas

Q: I need to know the correct court to get an arbitration award confirmed in Kansas

The award is for $2,480,000 and the defendant does business in Johnson County Kansas and I live in Jackson County Missouri.

1 Lawyer Answer
David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Manhasset, NY

A: I am not admitted in Kansas but the procedure is virtually the same in New York. An Award is not enforceable until it is "confirmed into a judgment."

The procedure appears to be dealt with in Article 5 of the Consolidated Laws of Kansas:

[2016 Kansas Statutes



"5-209. Judgment and execution on award. Such court, at the next term thereof after filing the same as aforesaid, if no legal exceptions be made or taken to said award or other proceedings, and said award is for the payment of money, shall enter up judgment thereon as on a verdict of a jury between the parties, and issue execution thereon as in other cases, immediately after the amount specified in said award is due and payable.

"5-411 Confirmation of an award.

Universal Citation: KS Stat § 5-411 (2016)

5-411. Confirmation of an award. Upon application of a party, the court shall confirm an award, unless within the time limits hereinafter imposed grounds are urged for vacating or modifying or correcting the award, in which case the court shall proceed as provided in K.S.A. 5-412 and 5-413."

History: L. 1973, ch. 24, § 11; July 1.]

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.