Virginia Beach, VA asked in Family Law for Tennessee

Q: I have a final hearing set for next week and my lawyer had to step down. How to I word/file a motion to proceed pro se?

My case has already been prepared and I do not want to have a continuation. I just need to make sure I file this correctly, and understand the exchange of evidence process so I do that correctly. I want to avoid running into any technicality issues over filing mistakes and I only have 3 business days before the trial.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Denania Galloway
Denania Galloway
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I highly suggest you try to find another lawyer. I am not sure if your matter is in VA or TN or if this is a divorce or custody case. Usually, in TN, if an attorney steps down you can show up at the next scheduled hearing and inform the judge you will continue pro se. However, I do not know all of your facts so I am unable to provide with individualized advice. Again, I suggest you contact an attorney immediately that can assist.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.