Kingsland, GA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Georgia

Q: I was arrested for criminal trespassing and am out on bond. I don't want to go back to jail, what is going to happen?

I broke the windshield of my exs car from the inside, I had my feet up on dash and was in pain due to a tooth infection, we were sitting in front of an urgent care. She was yelling in my ear and out of frustration and desperation I kicked the windshield without thought I had no intention of damaging any property or harming or otherwise distrubing her or anyone on anyway it truly was an accidrnt and done in a moment of agony and chaos. I just wanted her to stop yelling and for my infected molar to stop throbbing. She threw my phone out of the window and drove off and left me behind. Police arrived a few minutes later and arrested me as I sit on the curb still in pain. I was held for 2 days and released on bond, and charged with criminal trespassing I may not legally be innocent, but I certainly was not acting with any malicious intent, however the windshield was broken, what do I need to do to make proper amends and avoid going back to jail?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Good news is that if the putative vicim is cooperative and the restitution has been made, I bet most prosecutors will work this out. As long as you follow the rules of bond you should be in good shape. Dont hesitate to ask for the public defender if you want some guidance, as the State may be annoyingly interested in the matter as it is in the realm of Domestic Violence. I would reasonably expect it gets dismissed assuming you dont have a record and everyone is making nice with eachother.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.