Seattle, WA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Oregon

Q: How do I file a hearing and what state do I file in ?

My daughter has my mother change her will and put her in charge. Daughter has kept all the assets and ignored the will. My mom had the will made in California where she lived . Before her death she moved to Texas with my daughter where she passed. Which state would I file the hearing in? My mother had significant assets my daughter kept and purchased an expensive home. She ignored the other grandchildren & my share of her estate. Can I file to have her removed and take the home away from her and whatever may be left of the estate I suspect she has spent most of the money and sold her personal property. I live in Oregon my daughter lives in Texas where mom died and my mom lived in California where the will was made by her attorney. The attorney would not get involved /conflict of interest. Which state would have jurisdiction of the case? What would I file in that state to get a hearing ? I am unemployed after a surgery and can't afford an attorney. Legal aid won't help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If your mother lived in Texas at her death I recommend you start with a Texas attorney. It's possible that the Texas State Bar Association has a lawyer referral number. It's also possible that Legal Aid in Texas could point you in the right direction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.