Edwardsville, IL asked in Real Estate Law for Illinois

Q: I have a lifetime estate, can my brother in Illinois, who owns the house, force my gf who he doesn't like to move out?

I moved in with my mom 6 years ago when she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She was my best friend and today I still struggle with her passing away 2 years ago. She put the house in my brothers name because I owed back child support and she didn't want the house taken from me. She told one of my best friends, who is a prosecutor,her wishes. That this was to be my house, my brother has done nothing to help her or this property. That until my child support was caught up, the house was to be in my brothers name. I have paid all the bills, everything. So I have a lifetime estate here. No will. My best friend (lawyer) said it was unnecessary. My question is can my brother tell me who I can and can't have living with me? He said he is about to have my gf evicted from here because of her past records? Please help me as I need some answers..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
  • Wheeling, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Yes.

You have a lifetime vested interest in the estate, not your live in girlfriend who does not have any legal standing with respect to that estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.