Drexel Hill, PA asked in Immigration Law for Pennsylvania

Q: My father in law filled out papers to bring his daughter to the US and is using his son’s ( my husband’s) income to meet

The requirements to sponsor her So my husband filled out an I-864A. Now, me and my husband filled our taxes together so does that mean I also have to fill out a I-864A because my income is also on the income tax return he is providing?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: You fill out the I-864A only if you intend to be joint sponsor/household member. Your husband will need to provide proof of HIS income stated on the joint tax return. Your share of the income on the return can not be considered for meeting the financial requirement unless you complete an I-864A.

Agnes Jury agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.