Bayonne, NJ asked in Car Accidents for New Jersey

Q: I am a new driver and I was involved in a minor accident but I left because I was scared.

I got my license a month before the accident. I bumped the parked car while trying to park but I only noticed the fog light came off but my car had no damage because I did not hit the car hard. I was scared and panicked because I didn’t know what to do in that situation and no one was around so I left. I need my license to go to school and drop off my son and this is my first ever ticket and summon

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If you have been charged with leaving the scene of an accident, which sounds like you have. I suggest that you immediately set up one of the free in office consultations that most of us criminal/traffic ticket lawyers offer. You will be facing up to 30 days in jail, loss of your license for 6 months if convicted and a fine. A lawyer can help you reduce or these penalties even if your guilty.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.