Jenison, MI asked in Personal Injury for Michigan

Q: Just wondering if there is away to get my ex boyfriend to pay for my medication, psychiatrist, and therapist bills?

My ex boyfriend has sexual, physically, and emotionally abused me in the past

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Possibly, in one of two ways: 1) contact police and make a report. It's up to the prosecutor about whether to actually pursue criminal charges - the length of delay may be a factor, because that's the first a defense attorney will attack. 2) if you don't want to, or the prosecutor elects not to, pursue criminal charges, you could file a civil suit against him. Burden of proof is less.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.