Port Huron, MI asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Michigan

Q: Should I file motion for custody or parenting time? What should my briefing show?

My ex falsely accused me of DV the night I escaped. I kept silent and plead guilty because he continued threatening me and because the only witness that could verify was my daughter. I couldnt put her through that. A few months later during divorce, he got sole custody. Ten months ago, he was charged with aggravated DV of someone else. Since that time I have had daughter 50-90% of the time so he could put his life together. I did not take to court, as I just wanted best for daughter. He has now plead guilty to that DV and cut off visitation because my daughter told school and new girlfriend about things she seen. Hes threatened my daughter with harm. What do I need to include in briefing? Is custody/parenting time motion better? I can afford a lawyer.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: File for custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.