Indio, CA asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Idaho

Q: How do I get my deposit back on a home that had an accepted offer?

I had an accepted purchase offer on a home I am buying. The home was advertised with a lifetime warranty on a metal roof. Prior to closing, I found out there was no permit on file for the new roof and the roof warranty was not a lifetime. The owner is not able to provide receipts for the roof in order to transfer the warranty to a new company that purchased the original manufacturer and provided the lifetime warranty. The city does not have any permits on file for the home. The original warranty was for 50 years not a lifetime. Currently, there are 29 years left on the warranty if the owner can show receipts for the metal roof. No permit? I am not comfortable with. I have lost time and money on this transaction.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: The fact that you closed on the property even knowing that the property did not have 50 years left on the roof, will be used against you as an "affirmative defense," if you sue to get out of the contract. You may have a breach of contract claim, if you can show that the 50 yr warranty was a material component of the contract. You might have a claim for fraud if you allege that you were intentionally "induced" into bidding on the property BECAUSE of a "knowingly false statement." What I urge you to do is to weigh the "pros & cons" of hiring a lawyer to sue vs. chalking this up to experience, and getting on with life and investments!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.