La Grande, OR asked in Family Law for Oregon

Q: I'm mother refuses to identify my biological father. Can I take her to court to I.D. him ?

i'm 46 years old

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Filing a lawsuit against your mother would certainly create awkward times during the holidays. There are other ways to get the information you seek. Get a certified copy of your birth certificate from the state in which you were born. If that doesn't have the information you seek, then search court databases to determine whether paternity and or child support were ever established. There are other resources that an experienced attorney or private investigator can use. Good luck, and be careful what you wish for because you might get it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.