Hazleton, PA asked in DUI / DWI for Pennsylvania

Q: Is it legal for the prothonotary and clerk of courts to send me a bill after paying close to 2,000 in fines on a 1st dui

I told them I didn’t owe them anything and made payments for 4 years probation but they said they will lien my house if I don’t pay! Odd thing is, it’s Already paid because I thought I was paying on the same thing. Then I noticed the amount wasn’t going down and that when they said I owed it to them. Can I get the 1,040.00 back? Without losing my house? The one they think I owe them money on is 30 years old. They had the wrong lawyer, probation officer and had my marriage name on it but I wasn’t married at that time. It’s horrible.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Talk to the lawyer that represented you. You should get receipts for what you paid. If you paid by check or credit card, get copies of all of those.

Your debt is to the county. The question is how many debts did you owe the county--if you owed 2 or 3 and only paid on one, you still owe. If it's only one and the wrong agency took the money you are technically paid but they should transfer the money. But you need to be clear who you paid, when you paid, what you paid, for each payment.

Likewise be sure you are clear who you owe or owed and for what. Yes, that means tons of legwork on your part. But without it the wheels keep turning.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.