Jackson, TN asked in Animal / Dog Law for Tennessee

Q: Madison County……Is animal control allowed to be on private property without a warrant?

My toddler accidentally let our dog out. Animal control came by to pick up a stray that was roaming the neighborhood and causing some problems. I apologized and explained the situation. She told me I needed to go get her or she would have to pick her up. I pointed out that she was telling me I had to choose to neglect the care of small children to chase a dog down the street. I told her I would not leave the children unattended. She shrugged her shoulders and got in her truck and proceeded to chase our dog while walking past the stray dog she was called about. Clearly being spiteful. She called her supervisor to come when she realized I was recording her actions. While she waited and finally stopped terrorizing our dog I finally got her to come back to me. They proceeded to come back and write me a citation for a dog at large. I requested that the woman not come on my property and only her supervisor. They told me I could not restrict access to my property.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Animal Control Officers are Law Enforcement. And yes, they can go onto private property to aprehend animals without a Warrant. You might want to hire an attorney to work this out, as it can be difficult and expensive. It does not appear that you are capable of representing yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.