Minneapolis, MN asked in Domestic Violence for Minnesota

Q: How do I file a haraasment restraining order to protect residents and staff from my organization from a former client.

My organization works with youth involved in the criminal justice system and formerly homeless and/or sexuallly exploited youth. We recently evicted a 26 year old resident who has been tresspassed, however sits just off property and heckles staff and residents. He has also been accused of selling narcotics as well. My CEO has requested That I file an order so he is unable to come within a certain amount of feet of any building belonging to or used by us or any client of our organzation, most of whom are considered vunerable adults. How do I file?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Saint Cloud, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: The request for a Harassment Restraining Order is pretty straightforward. You would simply need to submit one in the county where the facility is located. An HRO could prohibit the former client from being within a certain distance of the facility. You are going to have difficulty submitting a request on behalf of the clients unless you are their guardian. Those would have to be handled individually to prohibit contact with the individual clients. But getting for the facility and its employees is something that could be done. I'd suggest going to the courthouse or getting the documents from www.mncourts.gov.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.