Clarksville, TN asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Tennessee

Q: My father just passed away, he has 3 daughters. I am the oldest and one is underage. He also had a girlfriend living

With him at time of death. Can’t locate a Will. His girlfriend is making it seem like she doesn’t want me to look through anything or take anything. What rights do I have and she have? She still at his house.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Absent a will that leaves things to her, your dad's girlfriend has no rights. You need to hire a probate attorney right away to get a probate case started in order to transfer assets to your dad's heirs, his children. The court-appointed executor may also need to hire an eviction attorney to remove the girlfriend from the house.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.