Gatlinburg, TN asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: Hi, my parents are taking me to court for emergency custody of my daughter. She has been living with them for 3 years of

Hi, my parents are taking me to court for emergency custody of my daughter. She has been living with them for 3 years off and on { turns 4 in March} I have all the text messages where I have been trying to get her back but they would not let me. I do not do any drugs/alcohol or anything. I also have another child, with the same father, he attends school/doctors, and is healthy. I am the mother, I did NOT sign any rights over to them, there is no legal papers ordered by a judge giving them custody. I need to know what I need to do next. I have NOT been served papers yet. I did confirm with Union Co. that I have a court date set for Oct.12th.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Denania Galloway
Denania Galloway
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Make sure you show up for the court date. I highly suggest you retain an attorney to help with your situation.

Outside of that, the State of TN usually holds preference to the biological parent unless there are other circumstances like dependency and neglect, drug and alcohol abuse, or something else that shows you are not a fit parent.

Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.