Gresham, OR asked in Divorce for Oregon

Q: Filing for divorce, in Oregon both residents. Im the wife am I entitled to alimony, settlements owed .monies?

Married since July 5th 2014 at least still married separated and separate households since October 2018

Husband was soul provider

At the time when we were getting married. We signed, and the wedding official signed document stating husband will pay wife monies out to the wife every month while married and for one year after.

He paid 2 months and thats it since July 2014

In 2018 he and infidelities with a prostitute many times over the period of 6 months.

He paid a prostitute and did not pay me any monthly monies that he agreed to.

We separated October 31st 2028, he moved out and that currently remains.

He won a descrimination lawsuit Sept 2021 stemming from July 2020

We talked about reconsider but nothing materialized.

No kids.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: In Oregon, there is a legal presumption that the value of any asset, except inheritances or gifts, acquired during the marriage will be shared equally at the time of divorce. Typically in Oregon the court uses the value of assets at the time of divorce, not separation. There are some exceptions. The overall goal in dividing property is to make a just and proper division of assets.

There are three types of spousal support: transitional, maintenance and compensatory support. More information is needed to determine whether you are entitled to support. For spousal maintenance, the court considers the following factors :

(I) The duration of the marriage;

(ii) The age of the parties;

(iii) The health of the parties, including their physical, mental and emotional condition;

(iv) The standard of living established during the marriage;

(vi) A party's training and employment skills;

(vii) A party's work experience;

(viii) The financial needs and resources of each party;

(ix) The tax consequences to each party;

(x) A party's custodial and child support responsibilities;

(xi) Any other factors the court deems just and equitable.

You should contact an attorney to determine your options. This information is not intended to be legal advice regarding your particular problem, and it is not intended to replace the work of an attorney with knowledge of the specifics of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.